Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Cruiserweight Classic, formerly Global Cruiserweight Series, is an upcoming professional wrestling tournament held by WWE with all participants billed at a weight of 205 lbs. or less. Tournament qualifying matches are taking place in various promotions of the independent circuit, including well known promotions such as Revolution Pro Wrestling, Progress Wrestling, and Evolve. Many cruiserweight wrestlers from around the world will have the chance to qualify for the 32-man tournament, which will take place over four dates: June 23, July 14, August 26, and September 14, 2016.
NXT competitors Rich Swann, Tommaso Ciampa and Johnny Gargano along with international standouts Zack Sabre Jr., Noam Dar, Ho Ho Lun and Akira Tozawa were announced for the Cruiserweight Classic, which begins with qualifying matches. Another athlete indicated his participation on April 2 when Lince Dorado announced at an independent show in Orlando, Florida, that he will compete in the series. On April 24 at Progress Wrestling Chapter 29, after Sabre Jr., Jack Gallagher also won his qualifying match, while on May 7 at Evolve 61, TJ Perkins and Drew Gulak also joined the series. On June 11 at Evolve 63, Tony Nese defeated Johnny Gargano, Drew Gulak, T.J. Perkins and Lince Dorado and qualified for the tournament. Two days later, WWE officially announced all 32 wrestlers taking part in the tournament. Originally, Brazilian wrestler Zumbi was scheduled to compete in the Cruiserweight Classic, however, he had issues with his visa that WWE could not clear in time, leading to him being replaced by Mustafa Ali.
- Zack Sabre Jr. defeated Flash Morgan Webster in a Cruiserweight Classic British Qualifying Match
- Jack Gallagher defeated Pete Dunne in a Cruiserweight Classic British Qualifying Match
- Noam Dar defeated Josh Bodom in a Cruiserweight Classic British Qualifying Match
- Evolve 61 - May 7 (La Boom - Woodside, Queens, New York)
- T.J. Perkins (w/Stokely Hathaway) defeated Fred Yehi in a Cruiserweight Classic US Qualifying Match
- Drew Gulak defeated Tracy Williams in a Cruiserweight Classic US Qualifying Match
- American Combat Wrestling The Tradition Continues! - May 28 (All Sports Arena - New Port Richey, Florida)
- Lince Dorado defeated Romeo Quevedo in a Cruiserweight Classic US Qualifying Match
Evolve presented the WWE Cruiserweight Classic Flashpoint, a prelude to the tournament, on June 11th in Orlando, Florida at the Orlando Downtown Recreation Complex, where Johnny Gargano, Drew Gulak, T.J. Perkins, Lince Dorado, and Tony Nese, competed in an elimination match.
- Evolve 63, WWE Cruiserweight Classic Flashpoint - June 11 (Downtown Recreation Complex - Orlando, Florida)
- Tony Nese defeated Johnny Gargano, Drew Gulak, T.J. Perkins (with Stokely Hathaway) and Lince Dorado in a Elimination Match; since Nese won, he qualified for the WWE Cruiserweight Classic
- Akira Tozawa
- Alejandro Saez
- Anthony Bennett
- Ariya Daivari
- Brian Kendrick
- Cedric Alexander
- Clement Petiot
- Da Mack
- Damian Slater
- Drew Gulak
- Fabian Aichner
- Gran Metalik
- Gurv Sihra
- Harv Sihra
- Ho Ho Lun
- Jack Gallagher
- Jason Lee
- Johnny Gargano
- Kenneth Johnson
- Kota Ibushi
- Lince Dorado
- Mustafa Ali
- Noam Dar
- Raul Mendoza
- Rich Swann
- Sean Maluta
- T.J. Perkins
- Tommaso Ciampa
- Tony Nese
- Tyson Dux
- Zack Sabre Jr.
|Ring name||Real name||Notes|
| Mauro Ranallo
| Daniel Bryan
* – Denotes number of overtime periods.
|WWE Cruiserweight Classic 2016 episodes|
|WWE Cruiserweight Classic 2016 contestants|