| Vitory Road|
|Promotion||Total Nonstop Action Wrestling|
|Date||July 19, 2009|
|Next Event||Hard Justice|
Victory Road 2009 was a professional wrestling pay-per-view (PPV) event produced by Total Nonstop Action Wrestling (TNA), which took place on July 19, 2009 at the TNA Impact! Zone in Orlando, Florida. It was the fifth event under the Victory Road chronology and was voted the worst major wrestling show of the year by the Wrestling Observer newsletter.
At Slammiversary, TNA's preceding pay per view, Kurt Angle won the TNA World Heavyweight Championship, and subsequently reclaimed his position as leader of the villainous alliance, The Main Event Mafia. Former champion and executive shareholder of the company, Mick Foley, decided to get a rematch for the title at Victory Road.
To appease Angle in getting his match, Foley also gave Main Event Mafia member, Kevin Nash, a match for the TNA Legends Championship against A.J. Styles; he also had created a chance for two other members of the Mafia in Booker T and Scott Steiner to challenge Beer Money, Inc. (the name of the tag team of Robert Roode and James Storm) for the TNA World Tag Team Championship, which they received their chance following their defeat of Team 3D (Brother Ray (Mark LoMonaco) and Brother Devon (Devon Hughes)).
After allowing Angle to win the TNA World Heavyweight Championship at Slammiversary, Samoa Joe was initiated into the Main Event Mafia at the expense of its former leader, Sting, which was represented by the Mafia beating down on Sting the edition of Impact! following the show. After weeks of confrontation between Joe and Sting, it was announced on the July 9 edition of Impact! that the two would face each other at Victory Road.
Abyss had been seeing a psychiatrist for months in the form of Dr. Stevie in an attempt to overcome his sadistic desires; it came to light eventually that Stevie was physically and mentally abusing his patient and controlling him with stun guns and drugs, eventually recruiting associates (Raven and Daffney) to aid him in controlling Abyss in similar fashion, as well as threatening Abyss's love interest, Lauren Brooke. The provocation continued, and on the July 16 edition of Impact!, it was announced Abyss would face Stevie.
- Numbers in parentheses indicate the length of the match.
- (c) refers to the champion(s) heading into the match.
- Tara (c) defeated Angelina Love (w/ Madison Rayne & Velvet Sky) to retain the TNA Women's Knockout Championship (7:00)
- Matt Morgan defeated Daniels (10:36)
- Abyss defeated Dr. Stevie in a No Disqualification match (9:53)
- Team 3D (Brother Devon & Brother Ray) (c) defeated The British Invasion (Brutus Magnus & Doug Williams) (w/ Rob Terry) to retain the IWGP Tag Team Championships (10:14)
- Jenna Morasca (w/ Awesome Kong) defeated Sharmell (w/ Sojournor Bolt) (5:49)
- Kevin Nash defeated AJ Styles (c) to become the new TNA Legends Champion (10:49)
- Booker T & Scott Steiner defeated Beer Money Inc. (James Storm & Robert Roode) (c) to become the new TNA World Tag Team Champions (12:39)
- Samoa Joe defeated Sting (12:38)
- Kurt Angle (c) defeated Mick Foley to retain the TNA World Heavyweight Championship (14:05)
Other on-screen talentEdit
- Ring announcer
|2009 Total Nonstop Action Wrestling pay-per-views|
| Genesis • Against All Odds • Destination X • Lockdown • Sacrifice • Slammiversary|
Victory Road • Hard Justice • No Surrender • Bound for Glory • Turning Point • Final Resolution
|2004 • 2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011 • 2012|