|Ian Richard Hodgkinson|
|Ring Names|| Vampiro/El Vampiro/Vampiro Canadiense/Canadian Vampire Casanova |
|Height||6'2" (190 cm.)|
|Weight||255 lbs. (113 kg.)|
|Born||May 31, 1967|
|Thunder Bay, Ontario|
|Resides||Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico|
|Billed||"The Depths of Hell"|
|Trained by||Abdullah The Butcher|
|Debut||February 12, 1991|
Ian Richard Hodgkinson (born May 31, 1967) is a Canadian professional wrestler better known by his ring name of Vampiro. He is the vocalist for punk/industrial band Droch Fhoula. He is currently working with former singer of The Misfits, Michale Graves to form a horror punk band by the name of "Devil, Devil" to debut in the near future. He is now retired.
|MAGAZINE COVERS||EVENT HISTORY||TOYS||IMAGES|
Ian got his start in the business working for International Wrestling out of Montreal, Quebec. He often set up the ring before events and would train with the wrestlers before their WWC Umatches. He made his debut as a jobber in 1985 with little training, although he has credited Abdullah the Butcher as his trainer.
After a few years in Montreal, Hodgkinson headed down to Mexico City, looking for work in the CMLL wrestling promotion. He met with Paco Alonso and Antonio Peña, who took him as a joke because of his unique look (he had long dreadlocked blue hair and several tattoos). They decided to throw him in the ring as Vampiro Canadiense (Canadian Vampire) because he told them he liked vampires. To their surprise, with his very limited moveset that only consisted of punches, kicks, and headbutts, he became an overnight superstar, as his rock star appearance and natural good looks caught on with the young Mexican women in the audience. Although he didn't have much skill in the ring, he quickly became the biggest superstar in the promotion, as the women would scream loudly for him to make his comeback and gain victory. He won many hair matches during the height of his popularity. Knowing his popularity would not last forever Vampiro trained in several forms of martial arts, working hard to improve his in ring skills.
Whilst working in Mexico Vampiro began a real life feud with fellow CMLL headliner Konnan. Konnan had been the top star in the promotion prior to Vampiro's arrival and did not take well to Vampiro's superstardom. The feud stems from Vampiro being offered a part in a Mexican soap opera, but then the producers changing their mind at the last minute when they learned that Vampiro's command of the Spanish language was poor, and went with Konnan, a fluent Spanish speaker, instead. Vampiro considered Konnan to have sabotaged his chance to parlay his ring success into mainstream stardom, as Konnan did become a mainstream star in Mexico as a result of the role. The rivalry lasted for several years until the two resolved their differences whilst working in WCW, where they became very close friends and business associates.
World Championship Wrestling 1997 - 2001
In the late 90s, Vampiro was signed by WCW. He formed a stable with the Insane Clown Posse and Raven called the 'The Dead Pool' (initially called 'The Necro-Ward'). Even though the stable was short-lived, they gained popularity and had a heated feud with Eddie Guerrero, Rey Mysterio, and rival Konnan. His popularity was on the rise, but was allegedly held down by backstage politics by older stars such as Hulk Hogan and Kevin Nash. It has also been alleged that Konnan buried him to bookers by fabricating stories about substance abuse. His situation was not helped any by his outspoken attitude and complaining about the way he was booked, making him unpopular among the other wrestlers, who considered him a whiner. It was commonplace to hear him on WCW Live! where he would air his grievances. He constantly called the Insane Clown Posse to complain about working for WCW and ICP would then broadcast these phone calls on the Internet, which didn't help him. Vampiro would later bring the Misfits into WCW, and began a feud with Oklahoma and 'Dr. Death' Steve Williams. Vampiro had a match with 'Dr. Death' at the WCW Mayhem Pay Per View, in which the stipulation was if Vampiro won, he would get five minutes alone with Oklahoma in the ring. Williams was disqualified, and Vampiro fought Oklahoma. Surprisingly, Oklahoma was able to mount a good bit of offense. The ending came when Vampiro took Oklahoma's cowboy hat and then pinned him following the Nail In The Coffin. In Early 2000, he formed an Alliance with Sting, as the Brothers in Paint (after helping Sting defeat Lex Luger in a lumberjack match). This didn't last too long, with Vampiro turning on Sting when WCW split into the New Blood and the Millionaire's Club. They had several encounters, including a First Blood match, where gallons of blood fell from the top of the Arena to drown Sting. They would feud throughout the spring, with Sting getting the upper hand on Vampiro in nearly all their encounters. This set up the Human Torch match, in which Vampiro won by setting an obvious Sting stunt double on fire. Vampiro would then focus on The Demon due to his defection from the ICP formed stable, The Dark Carnival. He would kidnap his fiancee, Asya, in a skit resembling the 1988 film Spoorloos. Afterwards, he challenged him to a Graveyard Match, which sparked the return of Sting.
Vampiro would be entered in the vacant United States Title Tournament, with his first round opponent being The Great Muta, whom Vampiro lost to. Vampiro later joined up with Muta to attack Ernest 'The Cat' Miller. Vampiro won his first and only title in WCW with The Great Muta, by defeating KroniK in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada on August 13, 2000. However, this reign was very short lived, as they lost the Tag Championship the very next night to Rey Mysterio and Juventud Guerrera in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada.
Vampiro would later turn his back on Muta, setting up an 3 Way match at War Games with himself, Sting and Muta, which was won by Sting. Vampiro would then take time away from the sport as his wife had a baby. He returned a month later, where he defeated Crowbar in a Hardcore Match. Vampiro challenged Mike Awesome to a match at Halloween Havoc, which was changed to a #1 contenders match. During the match with Awesome, he was Superbombed off the top rope, causing a concussion. The next night at the Thunder tapings, he received another Awesome Bomb, causing more suffering. This would be his last match in WCW.
CMLL, TNA, AAA
With WCW out of business, Vampiro headed back to CMLL. He also took tours with All Japan Pro Wrestling, teaming with his idol, The Great Muta. Vampiro also wrestled in Puerto Rico between tours of CMLL.
In 2003 Vampiro had a short run in TNA, joining Father James Mitchell and The New Church in their attempt to rid TNA of Raven. After losing to Raven in a Dream Blood Blood Gallows of Retribution match he was never seen in TNA again.
In 2005 he jumped with Shocker to the AAA promotion in which both he and Konnan held booking positions. Currently he has no plans to return to TNA or work for WWE  although he has stated in interviews with the UK's Power Slam Magazine that he has no objection to joining TNA - although he suspects it will not happen now that Sting is on their roster.
When not working for AAA Vampiro can be seen wrestling in the US for the Southern California promotion Full Contact Wrestling, in Puerto Rico for IWA, IPW in the United Kingdom and Nu Wrestling Evolution across Italy.
On March 10, 2006 Vampiro became the Rey de Reyes of AAA by winning a 12-Man-Elimination Match.
On January 26, 2007 he was featured in a pilot for a new wrestling show produced for MTV called Wrestling Society X. He competed in a 10 man Battle Royal/Death Match, eventually securing one of two contracts earning him a shot at the inaugural Wrestling Society X Championship against Sean Waltman.
Combatants in this ladder match included Vampiro, Sean Waltman, Teddy Hart, New Jack, Lone Star, Kaos, Puma, Al Katrazz, Justin Credible and Chris Hamrick. Vampiro also holds a booking position within the company.
Vampiro was involved in a controversial angle which led to MTV cancelling the 4th WSX show, due to air on Tuesday February 20th . In the (pre-taped) show he was the recipient of a fireball to the face thrown by Ricky Banderas which resulted in Vampiro's head momentarily catching fire. The footage has since been leaked onto the internet . Later in his debut WSX match, Ricky Banderas had defeated Vampiro to claim the WSX Championship.
- Ian grew up in a single parent home with his mother and two sisters.
- Ian is divorced from Kitsu with a daughter named Dasha, whose Godfather is Norman Smiley.
- Ian is the vocalist for Punk/Industrial/Metal band, Droch Fhoula.
- Finishing and signature moves
- Entrance themes
Championships and accomplishments
- Rey de Reyes (2006)
- FILL Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
- IWA Hardcore Championship (3 times)
- JCW Heavyweight Championship (2 times)
- NWE Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
- PWI ranked him # 294 of the 500 best singles wrestlers in 1995.
- PWI ranked him # 305 of the 500 best singles wrestlers in 1996.
- PWI ranked him # 199 of the 500 best singles wrestlers in 1998.
- PWI ranked him # 119 of the 500 best singles wrestlers in 1999.
- PWI ranked him # 31 of the 500 best singles wrestlers in 2000.
- PWI ranked him # 216 of the 500 best singles wrestlers 2003.
- PWI ranked him # 162 of the 500 best singles wrestlers in 2005.
- PWI ranked him # 128 of the 500 best singles wrestlers in 2006.
- UWA World Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
- UWA World Tag Team Champion (2 time)
- WSX Championship (1 time)
Luchas de Apuestas record
|Hair||Vampiro||Bestia Negra II||Xochimilco, Mexico City||March 21, 1992||-|
|Hair||Vampiro||Rick Patterson||Monterrey, Nuevo León||June 28, 1992||1|
|Hair||Vampiro||Pirata Morgan||Mexico City||July 17, 1992||-|
|Hair||Vampiro||Aaron Grundy (Mike Shaw)||Monterrey, Nuevo León||August 23, 1992||2|
|Hair||Vampiro||Sangre Chicana||Monterrey, Nuevo León||December 10, 1992||-|
|Hair||Vampiro||Pirata Morgan||Houston, Texas||September 1, 1998||-|
|Hair||Vampiro||Rey Bucanero||Mexico City||December 13, 2002||-|
|Hair||Shocker||Vampiro||Mexico City||April 4, 2003||-|
|Hair||Cien Caras & Máscara Año 2000||Vampiro & Pierroth, Jr.||Mexico City||December 17, 2004||-|
- Triple threat match involving Sangre Chicana
- "Relevos Suicidas" match with Vampiro teaming with Grundy against Brazo de Plata and Sangre Chicana
- Vampiro's sister is a former Miss Nude Canada.
- When wrestling in Mexico, he was named as El Vampiro Canadiense, which translates to The Canadian Vampire.
- For a brief period of time, he was a bodyguard for the pop group Milli Vanilli.
- He was drafted by Kingston of the Ontario Hockey League at one stage of his life.
- In Tribute to Mexico, he has a tattoo on his left arm that reads Mexico City, citing where he had many of his matches.
- In 2003 he received a $20,000 bonus for losing his hair to Shocker in a hair vs. hair match.
- He began working in the business by selling programs and assisting in setting up the ring for independent wrestling promotions in Montreal.
- Vampiro is friends with US Punk band Rancid, Doyle and Dr. Chud of The Misfits, and Detroit based Rap Metal band the Insane Clown Posse.
- While wrestling in the WCW, Vampiro's first entrance music was "Play With Me" performed by The Insane Clown Posse off their Amazing Jeckel Brothers CD. During his "Dead Pool" era, it was then changed to ICP's "Take It", made especially for the WCW Theme Song CD, "WCW Mayhem". Then later, the song was replaced "Kong At The Gates" by The Misfits, While in most indie promotions his song is Dead American by Lars Frederiksen And The Bastards.
- Had a falling out with The Misfits over money owed on the sale of T-Shirts while in WCW.
- After setting Sting on fire in the Human Torch Match, there was a vignette on WCW Monday Nitro of Vampiro reporting his success to a dark, hooded figure. That figure was "The Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels.
- In WCW, he changed his facepaint regularly to match the style of the band that would accompany him to the ring. His face was painted Juggalo style when ICP was with him and painted his face up like a human skull when Jerry Only of The Misfits was in his corner.
- His character was supposed to be "killed off" on December 31, 1999 by The KISS Demon on a New Year's Eve show that was to be produced by WCW and the rock band KISS. His demise called for him to be thrown into a vat of holy water. This plan, as well as the event were cancelled once WCW head Eric Bischoff was ousted from power in September of that year.
- Vampiro was ranked 128 on the 2006 PWI Top 500
- During the height of his wrestling career in Mexico, Vampiro starred in an action film entitled Guerrero De La Noche, which was not unlike the El Santo films of the 1960s and 1970s.
- Vampiro is a dual citizen of Canada and Mexico. 
- Wrestlemag.com news site article on Vampiro fireball angle controversy
- Wrestlemag.com news site article featuring leaked video of Vampiro fireball angle