Starrcade 1996 was the fourteenth annual Starrcade professional wrestling pay-per-view event. It was the ninth Starrcade event produced by World Championship Wrestling (WCW), and it took place on December 29, 1996 from the Nashville Municipal Auditorium in Nashville, Tennessee. The event featured the New World Order (nWo) stable, which formed in July.
The main event was between Hollywood Hogan and Roddy Piper. Piper returned to WCW earlier in the year to oppose the nWo, and challenge Hogan to determine who the bigger icon was. Other matches featured Lex Luger and The Giant, Diamond Dallas Page and Eddie Guerrero for the vacant WCW United States Heavyweight Championship, The Outsiders and the Faces of Fear for the WCW World Tag Team Championship, and The Ultimate Dragon and Dean Malenko to unify the J-Crown Championship and the WCW Cruiserweight Championship.
The main feud heading into Starrcade was between Roddy Piper and Hollywood Hogan. At Bash at the Beach, Hogan, Scott Hall and Kevin Nash formed the New World Order (nWo), a group of rebels who terrorized, and aimed to take over World Championship Wrestling. Since then, the group increased in members and power, winning the WCW World Heavyweight Championship and the WCW World Tag Team Championship. Piper returned to WCW at Halloween Havoc, and confronted Hogan. Piper claimed to be a bigger icon than Hogan, and challenged him to a match. The making of their match was repeatedly delayed, however, and Piper accused WCW Executive Vice President Eric Bischoff of secretly working for the nWo. This was revealed to be true as the nWo came out, attacked Piper, and declared their alliance with Bischoff. The match between Piper and Hogan was made for Starrcade.
- Numbers in parentheses indicate the length of the match.
- (c) refers to the champion(s) heading into the match.
- The Ultimate Dragon (w/ Sonny Onoo) defeated Dean Malenko in a Championship unification match for the J-Crown and the WCW Cruiserweight Championship (18:30)
- Akira Hokuto (w/ Sonny Onoo and Kensuke Sasaki) defeated Madusa for the WCW Women's Championship (7:06)
- Jushin Liger defeated Rey Mysterio, Jr. (14:16)
- Jeff Jarrett defeated Chris Benoit (w/ Woman) in a no No Disqualification match (13:48)
- The Outsiders (Scott Hall & Kevin Nash) (c) (w/ Syxx) defeated The Faces of Fear (Meng & The Barbarian) (w/ Jimmy Hart) to retain the WCW World Tag Team Championship (11:52)
- Eddie Guerrero defeated Diamond Dallas Page to win the vacant WCW United States Heavyweight Championship (15:20)
- Lex Luger defeated The Giant (13:23)
- Roddy Piper defeated Hollywood Hogan (w/ Ted DiBiase) (15:36)
|National Wrestling Alliance|
|1983 • 1984 • 1985 • 1986 • 1987 • 1988 • 1989 • 1990|
|World Championship Wrestling|
|1991 • 1992 • 1993 • 1994 • 1995 • 1996 • 1997 • 1998 • 1999 • 2000|
|1996 World Championship Wrestling pay-per-views|
|SuperBrawl • Uncensored • Slamboree • The Great American Bash • Bash at the Beach • Hog Wild • Fall Brawl • Halloween Havoc • World War 3 • Starrcade|
|1997 World Championship Wrestling pay-per-views|
|Souled Out • SuperBrawl VII • Uncensored • Spring Stampede • Slamboree • The Great American Bash • Bash at the Beach • Road Wild • Fall Brawl • Halloween Havoc • World War 3 • Starrcade|