San Jose or San José is the third-largest city in California, the tenth-largest in the U.S., and the county seat of Santa Clara County. It is located at the southern end of San Francisco Bay. The San Jose/Silicon Valley area is a major component of the greater San Francisco Bay Area, a region of 7.5 million people and the sixth largest metropolitan area (CSA) in the United States.
San Jose was founded on November 29, 1777, as El Pueblo de San José de Guadalupe, the first town in the Spanish colony of Nueva California, which later became Alta California. The city served as a farming community to support Spanish military installations at San Francisco and Monterey. When California gained statehood in 1850, San Jose served as its first capital.
After more than 150 years as a small farming city, San Jose and the surrounding Santa Clara Valley became the last (and largest) contiguous area of undeveloped land surrounding the San Francisco Bay. San Jose experienced increased demand for housing from soldiers and veterans returning from World War II. San Jose then continued its aggressive expansion during the 1950s and 1960s by annexing more land area. The rapid growth of the high-technology and electronics industries further accelerated the transition from an agricultural center, to an urbanized metropolitan area.
By the 1990s, San Jose's location within the booming local technology industry earned the city its nickname, Capital of Silicon Valley. San Jose now maintains global city status and is the largest city in the San Francisco Bay Area in terms of population, land area, and industrial development. The U.S. Census Bureau reported the population of the city to be 945,942 as of the 2010 Census.
Arenas and events
- Compaq Center
- HP Pavilion at San Jose
- San Jose Airport Hotel
- San Jose Arena
- San Jose State Event Center
- WWF Superstars of Wrestling - February 13, 1993.
- WWF Superstars of Wrestling - February 20, 1993.
- WWF Superstars of Wrestling - February 27, 1993.
- Royal Rumble 1998 - January 18, 1998.
- RAW - September 14, 1998.
- Heat - November 22, 1998.
- RAW - March 15, 1999.
- Heat - March 21, 1999.
- RAW - February 14, 2000.
- Smackdown - April 6, 2000.
- Heat - April 9, 2000.
- RAW - July 10, 2000.
- RAW - January 8, 2001.
- RAW - May 21, 2001.
- SummerSlam 2001 - August 19, 2001.
- Velocity - March 29, 2003.
- Smackdown - December 4, 2003.
- RAW - May 10, 2004.
- RAW - January 31, 2005.
- Smackdown - February 3, 2005.
- ECW - February 27, 2007.
- Smackdown - March 2, 2007.
- The Great American Bash 2007 - July 22, 2007.
- ECW - June 17, 2008.
- Smackdown - June 20, 2008.
- RAW - June 29, 2009.
- RAW - July 6, 2009.
- NXT - March 23, 2010.
- Superstars - March 25, 2010.
- Smackdown - March 26, 2010.
- Superstars - August 12, 2010.
- NXT - April 13, 2010.
- NXT - August 10, 2010.
- RAW - August 8, 2011.
- Superstars - August 11, 2011.
- Superstars - October 11, 2012.
- Smackdown - October 12, 2012.
- Superstars - August 16, 2013.
- RAW - March 30, 2015.
- Superstars - April 2, 2015.
- RAW - August 3, 2015.
- Superstars - August 6, 2015.
- Smackdown - October 11, 2016.
- Main Event - October 11, 2016.
- Payback - April 30, 2017.
- RAW - September 18, 2017.
- Main Event - September 20, 2017.
- San Jose, California on Wikipedia