World Wrestling Federation
Garvin next went to the World Wrestling Federation wrestling as a fan favorite under the name "Rugged" Ronnie Garvin. He feuded with Greg Valentine and they battled several times. The feud culminated with a retirement match, which Valentine won. Garvin was soon appointed as a kayfabe referee, but during matches, he would fight with the wrestlers who would not listen to his orders, such as Bravo and the Brooklyn Brawler. Despite warnings by WWF president Jack Tunney, Garvin punched Valentine during his match against Jimmy Snuka, which led to him being banned from refereeing.
At SummerSlam, Garvin served as special ring announcer for Valentine's match against Hercules. Garvin stated during his foe's introduction that Valentine was underweighing himself of 30 pounds, and had two left feet. When Valentine pinned Hercules with his feet on the ropes, Garvin announced Hercules as the winner. Valentine knocked him out of the ring, but Garvin came back and punched him out. Irate at Garvin's antics, Valentine asked he be reinstated so he could get his hands on him. The two battled at the Royal Rumble in a Submission match, which Garvin won to end the feud. After that, Garvin was not involved in a major feud, and he left the WWF at the end of the year.
- Signature moves
- Garvin Stomp - innovated
Championships and accomplishments
- Championship Wrestling from Florida
- Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling - Jim Crockett Promotions
- Mid-South Sports - Georgia Championship Wrestling
- NWA Georgia Tag Team Championship (2 times) - with Terry Garvin
- NWA Macon Tag Team Championship (2 times) - with Terry Garvin (1) and Roger Kirby (1)
- NWA National Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
- NWA National Tag Team Championship (1 time) - with Jerry Oates
- NWA National Television Championship (2 times)
- NWA World Television Championship (Georgia version) (2 times)
- NWA Mid-America
- NWA Mid-America Tag Team Championship (2 times) - with Terry Garvin
- NWA Southern Junior Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
- NWA Southern Tag Team Championship (Mid-America version) (1 time) - with Terry Garvin
- Pro Wrestling Illustrated
- PWI ranked him # 142 of the 500 best singles wrestlers during the "PWI Years" in 2003.
- Southeastern Championship Wrestling
- NWA Southeastern Heavyweight Championship (Northern Division) (5 times)
- NWA Southeastern Tag Team Championship (3 times) - with Tony Charles (1) and Bob Orton, Jr. (2)
- NWA Tennessee Tag Team Championship (1 time) - with Terry Garvin
- Tennessee Mountain Wrestling
- TMW Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
- TMW Tag Team Championship (1 time) - with Tim Horner
1This title was originally named the NWA Georgia Television Championship and was eventually renamed the NWA World Television Championship. However, in March 1985, World recognition is dropped by the NWA and the title reverts to the National title when Jim Crockett Promotions purchases Georgia Championship Wrestling and recognizes its Television title the World title.
- Ron is not related to Terry Garvin but he is Jimmy Garvin's stepfather.
- Ron owned Tennessee Mountain Wrestling in Knoxville, TN. Bob Orton, Jr. owns it now with Terry Landel and Tony Anthony. The web address is Tennessee Mountain Wrestling