Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Rikidōzan (November 14, 1924 – December 15, 1963) was a professional wrestler, known as the "Father of Puroresu" and one of the most influential men in wrestling history. He was credited with bringing the sport of professional wrestling to Japan at a time when the Japanese needed a local hero to look up to.
Championships and accomplishments
- NWA World Tag Team Championship (San Francisco version) (1 time) – with Koukichi Endoh
- NWA Hawaii Tag Team Championship (3 times) – with Bobby Bruns (1), Azumafuji (1) and Koukichi Endoh (1)
- NWA Pacific Coast Tag Team Championship (San Francisco version) (1 time) – with Dennis Clary
In 2004, A South Korean film, Rikidozan was made about the life of the wrestler, with Sol Kyung-gu playing the titular role.
Rikidōzan himself appeared in 29 films, including:
- お月様には悪いけど Otsukisama ni wa warui kedo (1954) as himself
- やがて青空 Yagate aozora (1955) as himself
- 力道山物語 怒濤の男 Rikidōzan monogatari dotō no otoko (1955) as himself
- I am a Korean - Biography of Rikidozan, Foreign Languages Publishing House, Pyongyang, 200 pages.
- Tokyo Underworld: The Fast Times and Hard Life of an American Gangster in Japan - Discuses Rikidozan's impact on Japanese pop-culture and the Yakuza underworld during the American occupation of Japan, and also includes a small photo collection of Riki, and his killer, Katsuji Murata. Vintage Books. 400 pages.