The Rey de Reyes (English: "King of Kings") 1997 was the first ever annual Rey de Reyes professional wrestling tournament and show show promoted by Asistencia Asesoría y Administración (AAA). The event took place on February 21, 1997 in the Convention Center in Ciudad Madero, Tamaulipas, Mexico. The Rey de Reyes tournament consisted of a semi-final round of four four-man elimination matches and a final match with the winners of each of the semi-finals facing off in an elimination match until only one man remains. The show also featured a Mini-Estrella Six-man "Lucha Libre rules" tag team match between the teams of Mini Goldust, Mini Mankind and Mini Vader going against La Parkita II, Mini Nova and Super Muñequito. The final of the first ever Rey de Reyes tournament pitted Latin Lover, Heavy Metal, Héctor Garza and Octagón against each other.
The event featured six professional wrestling matches with different wrestlers involved in pre-existing scripted feuds or storylines. Wrestlers portray either villains (referred to as Rudos in Mexico) or fan favorites (Técnicos in Mexico) as they compete in wrestling matches with pre-determined outcomes.
- Latin Lover defeated Mascara Sagrada, Jr., Jerry Estrada and Killer in the Rey de Reyes 1997 Semi-final elimination match.
- Heavy Metal defeated Blue Demon, Jr., Maniaco and May Flowers in the Rey de Reyes 1997 Semi-final elimination match.
- Héctor Garza defeated Perro Aguayo, Jr., Abismo Negro and La Parka, Jr. in theRey de Reyes 1997 Semi-final elimination match.
- Octagón defeated El Pantera, Fuerza Guerrera and Pentagón in the Rey de Reyes 1997 Semi-final elimination match.
- Mini Goldust, Mini Mankind and Mini Vader defeated La Parkita II, Mini Nova and Super Muñequito in a Six-man "Lucha Libre rules" tag team match
- Latin Lover defeated Heavy Metal, Héctor Garza and Octagón in the Rey de Reyes 1997 Final