|Night of Champions 2012|
|Date||September 16, 2012|
|Next Event||Hell in a Cell|
Night of Champions was a professional wrestling pay-per-view (PPV) event produced by WWE, which took place on September 16, 2012 at the TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts. It was the fifth annual WWE Night of Champions event (sixth including Vengeance: Night of Champions) and the thirteenth in the WWE Vengeance/Night of Champions overall chronology. The theme to the Night of Champions event is that all sanctioned championships are defended on the card.
Night of Champions featured professional wrestling matches that involve different wrestlers from pre-existing feuds, plots, and storylines that play out on WWE's primary television programs. Wrestlers portray villains or heroes as they follow a series of events that build tension and culminate in a wrestling match or series of matches.
One featured match involves champion Sheamus against Alberto Del Rio for the World Heavyweight Championship. Upon being defeated by Sheamus again at SummerSlam, Del Rio felt that because the referee did not see that his foot was on the bottom rope during the pin that cost him the match, he deserved yet another chance at the championship. Sheamus felt that Del Rio had enough chances to beat him and said that Randy Orton, who just returned from suspension, deserved a chance at the championship. Del Rio would go on to defeat Orton and get another chance to claim the championship from Sheamus.
Another highly promoted match was CM Punk defending the WWE Championship against John Cena. This storied rivalry that was rekindled on July 23rd at Raw 1000 when Cena cashed in his Money in the Bank briefcase against Punk and failed to win the championship due to interference by Big Show that resulted in a disqualification. This led to a triple threat match at Summerslam featuring Punk, Cena, and Show. During the match, Cena would have Big Show beat only to be thrown out of the ring by Punk, who would steal a victory. The following night on Raw, Punk would be granted the right to chose his next challenger to face at Night of Champions. The champion was quick to announce that he would face John Cena, on the condition that he would admit on live television that CM Punk is the "best in the world." Cena would refuse to do so, leaving a big question mark on who would face the champion at the event. The following week however, Raw General Manager AJ Lee would announce that it was "her decision" to make the match official, regardless of any stipulation Punk had put into place.
In partnership with Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the Night of Champions set was adorned with pink ribbons representing breast cancer awareness, and the middle rope of the ring was colored pink instead of the usual white. In addition, John Cena would also change his shirt design and arm bands to include the color pink with his shirt saying "Rise Above Cancer".
- Numbers in parentheses indicate the length of the match.
- (c) refers to the champion(s) heading into the match.
- Dark Match: Zack Ryder defeated Brodus Clay, Primo, Epico, Justin Gabriel, Tensai, Tyson Kidd, Michael McGillicutty, Darren Young, Titus O'Neil, Jinder Mahal, JTG, Drew McIntyre, Ted DiBiase, Heath Slater & Santino Marella in a 16-Man Battle Royal to become the #1 contender for the United States Championship (5:43)
- The Miz (c) defeated Cody Rhodes, Sin Cara, and Rey Mysterio in a Fatal Four-Way Match to retain the Intercontinental Championship (12:05)
- Team Friendship (Kane & Daniel Bryan) defeated R-Truth & Kofi Kingston (c) to win the WWE Tag Team Championship (8:30)
- Antonio Cesaro (c) defeated Zack Ryder to retain the United States Championship (6:40)
- Randy Orton defeated Dolph Ziggler (18:24)
- Eve Torres defeated Layla (c) to win the Divas Championship (7:05)
- Sheamus(c) defeated Alberto Del Rio to retain the World Heavyweight Championship (14:25)
- CM Punk (c) fought John Cena to a draw in a WWE Championship Match (26:55)
Other on-screen talentEdit
- Night of Champions 2012 Offical Website
- Night of Champions 2012 at CAGEMATCH.net
- Night of Champions 2012 at Online World of Wrestling
|2001 • 2002 • 2003 • 2004 • 2005 • 2006 • 2007 • 2011|
|Night of Champions|
|2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011 • 2012 • 2013|
|2012 World Wrestling Entertainment pay-per-views|
| Royal Rumble • Elimination Chamber • WrestleMania • Extreme Rules • Over the Limit • No Way Out • |
Money in the Bank • SummerSlam • Night of Champions • Hell in a Cell • Survivor Series • TLC:Tables, Ladders & Chairs