- See also: NWA World Heavyweight Championship, a similarly named title.
|NWA International Heavyweight Championship|
|Date created:||November 1957|
|Date retired:||April 18, 1989|
|First champion(s):||Lou Thesz|
The NWA International Heavyweight Championship was a singles title recognized by the National Wrestling Alliance through its partnership with the Japan Wrestling Association, and later by All Japan Pro Wrestling. It is one of the three titles that were unified into the AJPW Triple Crown Championship in 1989. Prior to the creation of the Triple Crown, All Japan considered the NWA International title to be its top singles championship.
Under Rikidozan the belt had a design similar to Lou Thesz's original NWA World Heavyweight Championship belt during the 1950s, but after Rikidozan's death, the belt given to Giant Baba had the design seen today on the belt part of the Triple Crown. The original design was later used on the PWF Heavyweight Championship, the UWFI belt (which was the original Lou Thesz belt), and a belt later given to Kazushi Sakuraba for show.
- National Wrestling Alliance
- All Japan Pro Wrestling
- Champion history - History of the wrestlers who have held the belt.
- Title matches - Matches in which the title was defended.
- Champion gallery - A gallery of all champions.