"Iron" Mike DiBiase (December 24, 1923 – July 2, 1969) was an Italian professional wrestler and the adoptive father of professional wrestler "The Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase. He married Ted's mother Helen Hild (also a professional wrestler), and legally adopted and raised Ted. Grandfather of Mike, Ted Jr., and Brett.
As an amateur wrestler, DiBiase, representing the US Navy, was the 1946 AAU champion in the UNL (open or heavyweight) division. He then wrestled at the University of Nebraska, and competed at UNL in the NCAA tournament in 1947 and 1948, losing his first round match both years.
DiBiase made his professional debut in 1950. In 1963, DiBiase became the 131st and last knockout victim of light heavyweight boxer Archie Moore.
DiBiase is one of the few professional wrestlers to die during a match. On July 2, 1969 in Lubbock, Texas, DiBiase suffered a fatal heart attack in the ring during a match with Man Mountain Mike. Harley Race, realizing that he was suffering a heart attack, attempted to perform CPR on DiBiase and then rode in the ambulance to the hospital with him. DiBiase was pronounced dead at the hospital.
Championships and accomplishments
- NWA International Tag Team Championship (Amarillo version) (1 time) – with Danny Plechas
- NWA North American Heavyweight Championship (Amarillo version) (3 times)
- NWA North American Tag Team Championship (Amarillo version) (4 times) – with Danny Plechas (2), Dr. X (1), and Fritz Von Erich (1)
- NWA Southwest Junior Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
- Other titles
- Rocky Mountain Heavyweight Championship (1 time)
- Rocky Mountain Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Juan Garcia