Hell in a Cell 2017 was a professional wrestling pay-per-view (PPV) event produced by WWE. It took place on October 8, 2017, at the Little Caesars Arena in Detroit, Michigan. It was the ninth event under the Hell in a Cell chronology.
Hell in a Cell featured professional wrestling matches that involved different wrestlers from pre-existing feuds, plots, and storylines that played out on WWE's primary television programs. Wrestlers portrayed villains or heroes as they followed a series of events that built tension and culminated in a wrestling match or series of matches.
At SummerSlam, Jinder Mahal defeated Shinsuke Nakamura to retain the WWE Championship due to a distraction from The Singh Brothers (Samir and Sunil Singh). On the following episode of SmackDown, as retribution for The Singh Brothers costing Nakamura his WWE Championship match, General Manager Daniel Bryan scheduled Nakamura to face The Singh Brothers in a handicap match that Nakamura won. Afterwards, Mahal attacked Nakamura, but Nakamura countered with the Kinshasa. On the August 29 episode, Nakamura and Randy Orton defeated Mahal and Rusev. After the match, Orton attacked Nakamura with an RKO. A number one contendership match between Nakamura and Orton was scheduled for the following week, in which Nakamura defeated Orton to face Mahal for the WWE Championship at Hell in a Cell. The next two weeks, Mahal and The Singh Brothers made fun of Nakamura and mocked his facial expressions and signature poses. Nakamura responded that there would be no jokes when he wins the WWE Championship at Hell in a Cell.
At SummerSlam, Commissioner Shane McMahon was the special guest referee for the United States Championship match between Kevin Owens and AJ Styles. During the match, Owens had gone for the pin, but Shane saw that Styles' foot was on the bottom rope so he ordered the match to continue. A frustrated Owens shoved Shane, who shoved back, providing a distraction to allow Styles to pin Owens and retain his championship. On the following SmackDown, Shane gave Owens one final shot at the U.S. title and also allowed him to pick the referee for the match; Owens chose Baron Corbin. During the match, Shane took over referee duties after Corbin walked out on the match. Styles took advantage of the ensuing distraction and pinned Owens to retain the championship again. Two weeks later, Shane got into a fight with Owens after warning him not to talk about his children. Subsequently, Shane was suspended indefinitely on orders of his father, WWE Chairman Vince McMahon. The following week, Vince called out Owens, reinstated Shane, and scheduled a Hell in a Cell match between the two at Hell in a Cell. Owens agreed on the condition that Vince would allow him to beat a McMahon senseless if provoked. After agreeing and shaking hands, Owens headbutted Vince, gave him a super kick, and then a frog splash from the top rope. Vince refused to be carried out on a stretcher and walked out of the ring, helped by his daughter Stephanie McMahon (her first cable television appearance since WrestleMania 33). The following week, Shane threatened that he would give Owens a beating at Hell in a Cell and warned him of his actions. The same night, Owens, via satellite, apologized for attacking Vince, but blamed Shane for his actions.
At SummerSlam, The Usos (Jey and Jimmy Uso) defeated The New Day (Big E and Xavier Woods with Kofi Kingston) to regain the SmackDown Tag Team Championship Two weeks later on SmackDown, The Usos earned the right to choose the stipulation for The New Day's championship rematch by defeating New Day in a non-title match. The Usos chose a Street Fight. In the fight, contested on the Sin City SmackDown on September 12, The New Day defeated The Usos to regain the SmackDown Tag Team Championship. The following week, The Usos invoked their championship rematch for Hell in a Cell.
At SummerSlam, Natalya defeated Naomi to win the SmackDown Women's Championship and retained the title in a rematch on the Sin City SmackDown on September 12. The following week, Natalya interrupted Charlotte Flair, who was commenting on her father Ric Flair's recovery. Charlotte subsequently challenged Natalya to a title match, but was interrupted by Becky Lynch, Naomi, and Tamina. General Manager Daniel Bryan then scheduled a fatal four-way match between the four to determine Natalya's challenger at Hell in a Cell, which was won by Charlotte.
|Jinder Mahal vs. Shinsuke Nakamura||Preview|
|Shane McMahon vs. Kevin Owens||Preview|
|The New Day vs. The Usos||Preview|
|Natalya (c) vs. Charlotte Flair||Preview|
|AJ Styles vs. Baron Corbin||Preview|
|Bobby Roode vs. Dolph Ziggler||Preview|
|Randy Orton vs. Rusev||Preview|
- Numbers in parentheses indicate the length of the match.
- (c) refers to the champion(s) heading into the match.
- Pre Show: Chad Gable & Shelton Benjamin defeated The Hype Bros (Mojo Rawley & Zack Ryder)
- The Usos (Jey Uso & Jimmy Uso) defeated The New Day (Big E & Xavier Woods) (w/ Kofi Kingston) (c) in a Hell in a Cell match to win the WWE Smackdown Tag Team Championship (22:00)
- Randy Orton defeated Rusev (17:00)
- Baron Corbin defeated AJ Styles (c) and Tye Dillinger to win the WWE United States Championship (19:00)
- Charlotte Flair defeats Natalya (c) by DQ to retain the WWE Smackdown Women's Championship (13:00)
- Jinder Mahal (c) (w/ Samir Singh & Sunil Singh) defeated Shinsuke Nakamura to retain the WWE Championship (12:00)
- Bobby Roode defeated Dolph Ziggler (12:00)
- Kevin Owens defeated Shane McMahon in a Falls Count Anywhere Hell in a Cell match (39:00)
Other on-screen talent
- List of WWE pay-per-view events
- World Wrestling Entertainment/Event history
- Event gallery
- Hell in a Cell
- Hell in a Cell 2017 Official website
- Hell in a Cell 2017 Pre Show on WWE Network
- Hell in a Cell 2017 on WWE Network
- Hell in a Cell 2017 (ES) on WWE Network
- Hell in a Cell 2017 (HI) on WWE Network
- Hell in a Cell 2017 (JA) on WWE Network
- Hell in a Cell 2017 (ZH) on WWE Network
- Hell in a Cell 2017 (PT) on WWE Network
- Hell in a Cell 2017 (RU) on WWE Network
- Hell in a Cell 2017 (FR) on WWE Network
- Hell in a Cell 2017 (DE) on WWE Network
- Talking Smack on WWE Network
- Hell in a Cell 2017 Pre Show at CAGEMATCH.net
- Hell in a Cell 2017 at CAGEMATCH.net
|Hell in a Cell 2017 previews|
AJ Styles vs. Baron Corbin • Bobby Roode vs. Dolph Ziggler • Jinder Mahal vs. Shinsuke Nakamura • Natalya vs. Charlotte Fiair • Randy Orton vs. Rusev • Shane McMahon vs. Kevin Owens • The New Day vs. The Usos
|Hell in a Cell|
|2009 • 2010 • 2011 • 2012 • 2013 • 2014 • 2015 • 2016 • 2017|
|2017 World Wrestling Entertainment pay-per-views|
NXT TakeOver: San Antonio • Royal Rumble • Elimination Chamber • Fastlane • NXT TakeOver: Orlando • WrestleMania • Payback • NXT TakeOver: Chicago • Backlash • Extreme Rules • Money in the Bank • Great Balls of Fire • Battleground • NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn III • SummerSlam • No Mercy • Hell in a Cell • TLC: Tables, Ladders, & Chairs • NXT TakeOver: Houston • Survivor Series • Roadblock