The American Wrestling Affiliates, alternately referred to as The AWA or The REAL AWA, is a governing body for six independent wrestling promotions in the eastern United States and New Brunswick Canada. It was created in April 2008 when former AWA Superstars of Wrestling member promotion Mountaineer Wrestling Association broke away to form a new AWA. Soon afterwards, four more promotions joined: APEX Wrestling of West Virginia, World Star Wrestling (WSW) of Connecticut, the North Atlantic Wrestling Association (NAWA) of Maine, and Championship Wrestling of Tennessee.Innovative Hybrid Wrestling (IHW), based in New Brunswick, also joined within a month of the American Wrestling Affiliates initial formation.
The American Wrestling Affiliates currently has four championships.
- World Heavyweight Championship
- World Tag Team Championship
- National Heavyweight Championship
- Shooting Star Championship
The list does not include titles promoted by the individual sanctioned territories.
On November 1, 2008, in Kingsport, TN, "The Disciple" Brian Logan was defeated by Tony "The Dragon" Givens to become to new AWA World Heavyweight Champion. Logan regained the title in West Virginia in a steel cage match three weeks later and held it until May 30, 2009 where he was defeated by "The Best of the Best" Robbie Cassidy.
The American Wrestling Affiliates World Tag Team Championship was created when the organization was originally formed in April 2008. However, the American Wrestling Affiliates National Heavyweight Championship and Shooting Star Championship both have a rich history in the South-Eastern United States.
The American Wrestling Affiliates as of 2009 no longer exists as it did in 2008. Most of its former promotions have either ceased operations or are no longer affiliated with one another and it has largely been superseded by the Championship Wrestling Alliance.
- Mountaineer Wrestling Association (MWA) - West Virginia and Ohio
- APEX Wrestling - West Virginia
- Championship Wrestling Alliance (CWA) - Tennessee, North Carolina, West Virginia and Virginia
- North Atlantic Wrestling Association (NAWA) - Maine
- World Star Wrestling (WSW) - Connecticut, Pennsylvania, and Ohio
- Innovative Hybrid Wrestling (IHW) - New Brunswick, Canada
- TheREALawa.com - American Wrestling Affiliates official homepage